Street Closures & Restrictions
The 4th of July holiday has arrived and the Sarasota Police Department wants you to enjoy your holiday with family and friends safely.
The Suncoast Super Boat Grand Prix is a big part of the festivities each year and the Sarasota Police Department is committed to keeping, you, our residents, safe during this exciting and memorable time. New this year, there will be NO PARKING allowed on the bay front on south end of Island Park, between Ringling Blvd south to Selby Gardens property line, during the fireworks display on 4th of July. This is a designated pedestrian viewing area only, no vehicles will be allowed to park on the grass in this area.
On July 5th, during The Festival Parade of Boats, the public consumption of alcohol is restricted to the area of the 1400-1500 block of Main Street, and only during the “Boats on the Bay” downtown block party hours of 5pm through midnight. Outside this designated area you must be seated at one of the several restaurants licensed to serve alcohol outdoors. Carrying an open container of alcohol in public inside the city limits is in violation of City of Sarasota city ordinance 5-21. You can be cited to appear in court or be subject to arrest at the time this violation occurs.
With the holiday celebrations and parties come street closures and traffic restrictions. They are listed below.
WEDNESDAY, July 3, 2013:
Centennial Park/ Boat Ramp CLOSED – Wednesday, July 3, 2013, at 12:01am through Sunday, July 7, 2013, at 6pm.
- This area will be utilized as the staging area for the Suncoast Offshore Grand Prix race boats.
- Van Wezel Parking Lot – Entry by Permit Only – Boats on the Bay set-up period begins
- No personal watercrafts can be launch from this boat ramp during this period. A suggested alternative boat ramp for use during this period is located in Ken Thompson Park next to Mote Marine Laboratory, on City Island.
THURSDAY, JULY 4, 2013:
JULY 4TH FIREWORKS- ROAD CLOSURES/LIMITED PARKING:
- Bayfront Drive (US 41), from Gulfstream Avenue to Orange Avenue will close at 7pm and will remain closed until approximately 10pm.
- Parking Lot at Bayfront Park/ Island Park will be closed when the parking lot has reached maximum capacity. No parking will be permitted on the grass area south end of bayfront.
- Palm Avenue Garage – located on Palm Avenue, between Main Street and Cocoanut Avenue, 700 free parking spaces. Expect delays when exiting due to heavy traffic.
- NOTE: Vehicle Traffic leaving the Bayfront/ Downtown area following the July 4th Fireworks will be subject to certain restricted traffic control measures as part of a comprehensive exit plan. Expect long traffic delays of up to one hour upon exit from the event area.
FRIDAY, JULY 5, 2013
BOATS ON THE BAY, BOAT DISPLAY AREA
Road Closures start at 9am reopens 6pm, July 7, 2013
- 10th Street and N. Tamiami Trail entry to the Van Wezel and Centennial Park is closed to all traffic.
- Van Wezel Way at Plaza Del Santo Domingo is closed – restricted entry for race participants, vendors, and sponsors. Vehicle issued entry pass required or entry denied.
FRIDAY, JULY 5, 2013
BOAT PARADE STAGING AREA
Road Closures start at 4pm. Reopen approximately 8pm. On street towing of parked vehicles starts at 4pm.
- Gulfstream Avenue – No parking from McAnsh to US 41 starts at 5am.
- Main Street from US 301 east to School Avenue will close. This section will be used for the staging of Boat Parade participants.
- Fletcher Avenue at Main Street will be closed. Fletcher from Fruitville Road will be restricted to Local Traffic Only. No exit onto Main Street, must exit via Fruitville Rd.
- Wallace Avenue at Main Street will be closed. Wallace from Fruitville Road will be restricted to Local Traffic Only. No exit onto Main Street, must exit via Fruitville Rd.
- East Avenue from Fruitville Road to Ringling Blvd. will be restricted to Local Traffic Only. No exit onto Main Street, must exit via Fruitville Rd. if north of Main Street and Ringling Blvd. if south of Main Street.
- Halton Court from Fruitville Road to 1st Street will be restricted to Local Traffic Only.</li
- Audubon Place from Fruitville Road south to Main Street will be restricted to Local Traffic Only. No exit onto Main Street, must exit via Fruitville Rd.
- School Avenue to Main Street will be closed. No exit onto Main Street, must exit via Fruitville Rd.
FRIDAY, JULY 5, 2013:
BOAT PARADE ROUTE ROAD CLOSURES: On street towing of parked vehicles starts at 6pm.
- Lemon Avenue from 1st Street south to State Street closed to all traffic – 2pm and reopens following Downtown Merchants Association Block Party at 12 midnight.
- Main Street from US 301 west to Bayfront Drive (US 41) – Ingress closes at 6pm, Egress closes at 6:45pm. Reopens at approximately 8pm.
- Gulfstream Avenue from McAnsh to US 41, (Tamiami Trail) – Ingress closes at 6pm, Egress closes at 6:45pm.
- Cocoanut Avenue from Gulfstream Avenue to Palm Avenue – Ingress closes at 6pm, Egress closes at 6:45pm. Reopens at approximately 8pm.
- US 301 (Washington Boulevard) from Fruitville Road south to Ringling Blvd. will be closed to all traffic at 6pm. Southbound US 301 traffic will detour west on Fruitville Road to southbound US 41. Northbound US 301 traffic will detour west on Ringling Blvd. to US 41, then north on US 41 to Fruitville Road, and east on Fruitville Road to US 301 North. Reopens at approximately 8pm.
SUNDAY, JULY 7, 2013:
OFFSHORE GRAND PRIX RACE – LIDO KEY LIMITED PARKING:
- Due to limited parking spaces, it is highly recommended to carpool.
- Illegal Parking/Blocked driveways: Illegally parked vehicles are subjected to ticketing. Vehicles blocking private driveways are subjected to towing.
- Anticipate long delays from the beach area at the conclusion of the race. Expect an exit time in excess of one hour when leaving the beach viewing area.
- Officers and deputies will be on high alert for DUI drivers. Use a designated driver and report all suspected drivers driving under the influence to a law enforcement officer.